Celebrities Killed By Twitter All The Time Twitter is a great place full of #slander and wonderment. It’s also sometimes full of horrible rumors about people dying. Every day there’s someone else that’s allegedly dying thanks to stupid a$$ rumors. At this point there’s not much we’d believe on Twitter. Here are the people that keep dying via social media.
Experts predict new movies from Tom Cruise and Adam Sandler, both with lackluster reviews, won’t top last weekend’s #1 movie. By Ryan J. Downey Julianne Hough and Diego Boneta in “Rock of Ages” Photo: Two years ago, an animated “threequel” topped the box office against new movies from Tom Cruise and Adam Sandler. If industry-watcher prognostication proves correct, it’ll be déj
Here’s a different take on a hit song by an artist you didn’t see coming – and unlike the 96 “Call Me Maybe” covers out there, requires actual talent! Usher took on Foster the People’s “Pumped Up Kicks” as part of his Live Lounge Special on BBC’s Radio 1, showing off his surprising musical range. He even played bass guitar himself on the track! For a man known for his sexy R&B tunes, Usher’s not half bad when it comes to electro indie-rock. Watch him do Foster the People proud below: Usher – Pumped Up Kicks (Live)
‘The people that I love to just sit and talk to and spend my time with are wiser, a little bit older than me,’ Kim tells Oprah Winfrey. By Christina Garibaldi Kim Kardashian on “Oprah’s Next Chapter” Photo: Kim Kardashian was ready to talk, and Oprah Winfrey was there to listen. In an excerpt from “Oprah’s Next Chapter,” the talk-show host sat down with the entire Kardashian family , including a one-on-one interview with Kim, and asked the question that seemed to be on everyone’s mind: What really went wrong in her brief marriage to NBA player Kris Humphries ? While we’ll have to wait until Sunday to get Kim’s full side of the story on OWN, we are getting a sneak peek. In a video posted on Ryan Seacrest’s website , we are getting our first glimpse of Oprah’s sit-down with Kim. The reality star, who is currently dating Kanye West , revealed to Oprah she’s now very much into dating older men. “Even the people I surround myself with, a lot of my friends, the people that I love to just sit and talk to and spend my time with, are wiser, a little bit older than me, where all my boyfriends were younger. I always dated five years younger. My whole thing was completely different, and now I just love that I’m with someone that’s a couple years older than me,” Kim said of West, who is more than three years older than her. “I love that my friends are even sometimes 20, 30 years older than me, that I can just sit and enjoy their company and their experiences.” Kim also admits that she learned a lot from her very public and messy divorce but feels that the experiences she has had over the past year have changed her for the better. “It’s like how Kourtney had this epiphany when she had the baby and she changed into a different person, I feel like I’ve had an epiphany over the last year,” Kim said. “For what I’ve been through and I am that changed person, just from my own experiences.” The clip also includes Oprah’s interviews with all the Kardashian siblings — Kourtney, Kim, Khlo
Julia Stiles is the fucking worst, so who give a fuck about Julia Stiles nipple in a see through dress…. She’s the kind of bitch who always set off my retardar….you know the kind of girl you just assume is handicapped/retarded cuz she gives off that vibe…. She was all fucking hype in the 90s or 2000s and I couldn’t figure eout why….maybe it was her amazing performance in Savee the Last Dance….maybe it was just her fucking PR Team that tricked the people into thinking she was hot….maybe her shitty tits, hanging shitty, showing some nipple, will remind everyone that she’s not all that special….. Let’s think of this post as a public service to help any of you who have jerked off to her in her prime…..not jerk off to her again and if this doesn’t work…. THESE OLD BIKINI PICS PROBABLY WILL …..Retardar gone nuts…
‘We respect each other, and I know he’s a spitter,’ Ice tells ‘RapFix Live’ of the typically interview-shy West. By Rob Markman, with reporting by Sway Calloway Ice-T on “RapFix Live” Photo: Natasha Chandel/ MTV News Kanye West doesn’t do press, but he gets the most press — or so he says in his new single “Mercy.” Booking a Yeezy interview isn’t the easiest thing to do these days (trust us), but when you’re Ice-T , nothing is impossible. In his new documentary film “Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap,” the original gangsta logged dozens of interviews with rap’s biggest names, including Dr. Dre, Eminem, Snoop Dogg and, yes, even Kanye West . “I just made a few calls, you know what I’m sayin’? I got connections that got connections to his people,” Ice told MTV News correspondent Sway Calloway about how he was able to book the elusive ‘Ye to take part in his film. On Wednesday (June 13), the rapper/actor walked onto “RapFix Live” and broke down the origins of rap in a very basic way. His film, however, really breaks it down. “We respect each other and I know he’s a spitter,” Ice said of Kanye. “I know he can really rhyme, so we made the call and he was like, ‘No problem.’ ” After the verbal agreement, it was just a matter of locking down the globetrotting Kanye. In his film, Ice got rappers to talk about their art and even got all the talent involved to kick a freestyle — another not-so-easy feat (again, trust us). Ice-T believes that when West was made aware of all the other rap legends involved in “Something From Nothing,” he was motivated to put his best foot forward. “Competition and excellence brings everybody’s game up,” Ice said, referencing ‘Ye’s rhyme that appears in the film. Booking the talent wasn’t much of a problem; for Ice, the hardest part of the doc was editing all the raw footage. “We shot 52 rappers. We had a six-hour edit on this film. I had to figure out how to cut this down to two hours, so there is so much extra material,” he said. “There’s a director’s cut that’s just incredible.” Related Videos ‘RapFix Live’ Gets Gangsta With Jim Jones And Ice-T Related Artists Kanye West Ice-T
‘As a married person myself, I don’t know what it’s like to be told I can’t marry somebody I love,’ Underwood says. By Gil Kaufman Carrie Underwood Photo: Getty Images Carrie Underwood is the latest public figure to come out in support of gay marriage. Joining the likes of Jay-Z , Snooki and JWoww and the Wanted the country superstar told England’s The Independent that she believes same-sex couples should have the same rights as she does. “As a married person myself, I don’t know what it’s like to be told I can’t marry somebody I love, and want to marry,” she said. “I can’t imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love.” The paper noted that Underwood, who has just released a new album Blown Away has a large Evangelical Christian fanbase and has spoken frequently about her faith, making it the subject of one of her biggest hits, “Jesus, Take The Wheel.” She told the paper that her liberal attitude about same-sex marriage is actually a result of her Christian values, not in conflict with them. “Our church is gay friendly,” said Underwood, 29, who was raised as Baptist, a denomination that tends to condemn homosexual behavior, but who now worships in a non-denominational congregation with hockey-player husband Mike Fisher. “Above all, God wanted us to love others. It’s not about setting rules, or [saying] ‘everyone has to be like me’. No. We’re all different. That’s what makes us special. We have to love each other and get on with each other. It’s not up to me to judge anybody.” Underwood’s comments come in the midst of a presidential campaign in which gay marriage is likely to be a hot-button issue. President Barack Obama recently said that he personally supports same-sex unions while rival Republican Mitt Romney has spoken out against gay marriage. Related Artists Carrie Underwood
American Psycho writer Bret Easton Ellis made clear via Twitter who he’d pick as potential leads in Fifty Shades of Grey , the best-selling erotic drama by E. L. James that he claims he’s hoping to adapt for the big screen. If it ever comes to pass, Ryan Gosling and Girls creator/actress Lena Dunham are clear favorites — or so he insists. What would rumored potential director Angelina Jolie say? Reporting on Ellis’ Tweets — which should be taken with a sizable grain of salt, obviously — Orange UK noted that the Less Than Zero author speculated that Scarlett Johansson or Kristen Stewart would be the likely victors to play the novel’s Ana opposite a theoretical Gosling as Christian Grey. “I would love it if we lived in a world where [ Girls actress] Lena Dunham could be Ana in Fifty Shades of Grey but I don’t think we do,” Ellis wrote. “Hope E.L. James doesn’t think I’m being a prankster. I really want to adapt her novels for the screen. Christian Grey is a writer’s dream…” The novel’s Christian Grey is a wealthy man tormented by demons and a need for control who begins a BDSM affair with college grad, Ana. Ellis has additional thoughts on a director too, should the Jolie thing not work out — or is just an elaborate rumor — or both: “I think David Cronenberg is a great idea for directing Fifty Shades of Grey and we worked together on American Psycho in its initial phase.” He gave a shout out to his supporters and a nudge to the powers that, well.. “BEE”: “Thanks to everyone supporting BEE adapting Fifty Shades of Grey : the response has been huge and amazing. Hope E.L. James feels the same way.” [ @breteastonellis via Orange UK ]
The film: Shallow Grave (1994) Why It’s an Inessential Essential: Today, Danny Boyle is commonly known as “the director of Slumdog Millionaire .” (Or: Olympian designer !) After that, he’s usually “the director of Trainspotting ,” or 127 Hours or even Millions . So it’s nice to see that the Criterion Collection’s first DVD/Blu-Ray release of a Boyle film is Shallow Grave , an early film by Boyle but an especially worthy one. Scripted by regular collaborator John Hodge ( Trainspotting , A Life Less Ordinary ), Shallow Grave is a nasty little neo-noir about three apathetic yuppies that cover up a crime involving a dead body and a bag full of cash. Juliet (Kerry Fox), Alex ( Ewan McGregor in his second film role), and David ( Doctor Who ‘s Christopher Eccleston) are a trio of casually petty young things that are equally bored, cruel and self-absorbed. They tentatively sublet the fourth bedroom in their Edinburgh flat to a stranger, who promptly dies and leaves a suitcase full of money beside his corpse. A decision is hastily made: they’ll keep the money and dispose of the body. The consequences of that decision naturally haunt and subsequently push the film’s group of sociopathic friends over the edge. How the DVD/Blu Ray Makes the Case for the Film: During his audio commentary soundtrack, Boyle behaves exactly how you’d think he would based on his films. He’s a reactive filmmaker, one that prioritizes sensationalism over moralism. That totally suits a film like Shallow Grave , a movie that Boyle, according to film critic Philip Kemp’s liner notes, originally conceived of as being similar to Blood Simple . During the director’s commentary (there’s also a separate commentary track that features Hodge in conversation with producer Andrew Macdonald), Boyle professes to have great reverence for British social realists like Ken Loach and Mike Leigh. But he also talks about how the film’s bright, lurid color palette, which he characterizes as “swathes of color,” were his way of getting away from “British realism,” which he said had “become very standard” at the time. Shallow Grave is about the perils of being young, British, materialistic and without a moral compass. But like Trainspotting , Boyle’s follow-up feature and breakthrough film, Shallow Grave , is a young filmmaker’s way of trying to, “just smash it up a bit, if we could.” Left to his own devices, Boyle tellingly only mentions the film’s political subtext infrequently and mostly in passing. He’s much more interested in talking about trick shots, effect-driven photography and the sense of visual “perspective” he achieved by making his antiheroes’ apartment, the film’s central location, built with an elevated foundation. Boyle did this for the same reason he had his cast lug around a crash test dummy when they simulated carrying a body down a flight of stairs. Boyle knew even then that to properly push buttons, he had to achieve a hyper-real effect. And he did: Boyle jokes that the dummy made his three lead actors mad at him, but that that an air of tension on-set is, “always a good thing.” Other trivia: Boyle is a great talker and goes on a number of funny tangents during his audio commentary, like when he warns anyone unfamiliar with The Wicker Man , which is playing in the background in one scene in Shallow Grave , not to watch the remake. His anecdote about gauging the success of Shallow Grave on the attendance of a single matinee screening in Hamilton, Scotland is especially funny. Boyle says that his contacts at Polygram Filmed Entertainment, the film’s distribution company, informed him that four people showed up to Hamilton’s first screening, but that that was a very good sign. “If there’s one person there,” Boyle recalled, “it’s going to be ok. If there’s nobody there, they don’t know. It’s bizarre, it’s all statistics, of course.” Previously: Inessential Essentials: Revisiting Joe Eszterhas’s Telling Lies in America Simon Abrams is a NY-based freelance film critic whose work has been featured in outlets like The Village Voice , Time Out New York , Vulture and Esquire . Additionally, some people like his writing, which he collects at Extended Cut .
Movieline caught up with the charismatic William Friedkin last weekend at the Seattle Film Festival, where the Exorcist / French Connection director received a Lifetime Achievement award and screened his brutal Southern-fried potboiler Killer Joe . Before he held court keeping a packed audience rapt with tales from his nearly five-decade career in film (highlights below), Friedkin stopped to discuss two of the topics he’s wrestling with these days: His legal battle to win back the rights to his 1977 pic Sorcerer , and the absurdity of the MPAA, which anointed Killer Joe with an NC-17 rating. Friedkin is active on Twitter , which has allowed film fans unprecedented access to the Oscar-winner and given him the chance to discuss his battle for the rights to Sorcerer , his Roy Scheider-starring remake of The Wages of Fear . “I’m suing Universal and Paramount to get control of Sorcerer ,” he explained to Movieline. “It evidently means a lot to people, and I want people to be able to see it.” As with many older films, rights to Sorcerer lie out of the filmmaker’s hands – and studios, according to Friedkin, are allowing precious 35mm prints to deteriorate right under their own noses. “What’s happened to the legacy of almost all the studios is that the people who run them now don’t care,” he said. “They don’t give a damn. I know the guy from Lincoln Center, he tried to get a print of Blade Runner and Warner Bros. told him they didn’t know who owned it.” Even in the care of studios, library titles threaten to become damaged beyond repair. Friedkin doesn’t want what happened to another ‘70s classic to happen to his film. “Paramount put out a beautiful Blu-ray of The Godfather almost two years ago,” he said. “They went to get it out of their vaults and it had deteriorated, and they had to spend over a million dollars to restore it. It’s probably the gem of their library, and they just let it go. So they don’t care about the legacy of the work that they do. I hope I win my lawsuit, and I’m going to expose what they’re doing nevertheless.” As for his current film, Killer Joe – an assuredly brutal film whose tagline boasts “a totally twisted deep-fried Texas redneck trailer park murder story” – Friedkin has battled an old adversary: The ratings board. “The ratings board, to me, is a joke,” he said. “I never thought we’d get an NC-17, but I don’t mind the fact that we did. I had a film called Cruising that I took back there 50 times, 5-0, before they gave it an R.” Still, Friedkin will gladly accept his NC-17. “If we had done that with Killer Joe , it wouldn’t be here tonight; it would be playing in a shorts festival on YouTube.” NEXT: enjoy a Movieline 9 of highlights, anecdotes, and assorted moments from Friedkin’s appareance at SIFF ’12.