Source: Randy Shropshire / Getty You can’t say Ray J isn’t a good salesman. The R&B crooner, reality star and Kim Kardashian porn co-star is investing $5,000,000 of his own money to start a marijuana company. Reports TMZ : Our Ray J sources tell TMZ … he’s already poured in $5,000,000 to fire up a cannabis company in Cali, and the first rollout will feature pre-rolled joints, dubbed, “Ray Jay’s.” As you see in the video, Ray J ain’t playing around when it comes to his plants … he’s already got a greenhouse stocked with rows and rows of dank, and the flowers look like the stickiest of the icky!!! The company is called MADDVIBES, and Ray J’s assembling a top-notch gang of ganja experts specializing in growing, branding and marketing herb … and he’s going to put his stamp on the biz with his own personal knowledge and expertise. See, smoking pot has tons of benefits!!!! Reportedly, Ray J’s company will focus on alternative marketing strategies in media, music and entertainment. Considering how too many Black people are being boxed out of the legal marijuana biz, we are all for Ray J getting his, and bring more people like him into the fold. — Photo: Getty
Source: Roberto Machado Noa / Getty 96% Of Sagging Pants Arrests In Shreveport Have Been Black Men Since 2007 Look, we get it. Some people truly abhor seeing men walk around a$$ed out with their pants sagging below their waist, but this is f***ing ridiculous. According to Shreveport Times , ever since ordinance 50-167 was passed into law in 2007, a law prohibiting sagging pants in public, there have been 726 arrests made. Of those 726, 699 of them are Black men in comparison to the 12 white men arrested. That’s right, 12. Additionally, 13 Black women were arrested for this crime in comparison to 1 white woman. This means that 98% of the people placed into the criminal justice system behind this law are Black, 96% are Black men. Tuesday, City Councilwoman LeVette Fuller proposed to abolish the law prohibiting the public wearing of pants below the waist, exposing the skin or undergarments. At least three national news outlets reported on the proposal in connection with the death of Anthony Childs that occurred during an officer-involved shooting. For those unaware, Anthony Childs was shot at eight times by a cop, SPD Officer Traveion Brooks, three of those shots hit him. A reported self-inflicted shot to the chest ultimately killed Childs. The officer was trying to stop Childs because his pants were sagging. This law is racist as HELL.
A star of Little People, Big World has some rather huge news to share: Tori Roloff is officially very pregnant! Yes, the reality star confirmed that she’s expecting a second child with husband Zach back on May 13. But a statement is one thing. Sharing the above photo of a very clear and very cute baby bump is another. “Baby is starting to make her appearance,” the 28-year old TLC personality captioned a mirror selfie that depictured her smiling while she cradled said bump late last week. The special photo came about two weeks after Tori and Zach delivered their exciting piece of news. “We are so excited to announce that Jackson is going to be a big brother!” they told Us Weekly at the time, adding that they had already found out the impending child’s gender: “We cannot wait to meet our sweet baby girl!” Tori is due in November. Fans can expect plenty of updates in the meantime, however, as Tori and Zach are psyched to be adding to their beloved family, which expanded back in May 2017 with the welcoming of son Jackson. The pair have been pretty open ever since about wanting more kids, with Zach even saying he’d love a “pack” of four or five. Tori only wants to talk one pregnancy at a time, however, especially with the star admitting this second one is more challenging than the first . “A lot harder,” Tori told fans several days ago about how this pregnancy compares to the first one, emphasizing however that she isn’t complaining: “But still easy. If that makes sense. I had no symptoms with [Jackson] other than egg aversions. I’ve got all the symptoms this time.” Based on her due date, Roloff is just into her second trimester at the moment. We hope she’s taking it easy these days if she isn’t feeling great and if she has concerns about the heat . Tori, meanwhile, has also been open about there being a “50/50” shot that she gives birth to another dwarf, based on the genes passed down by Zach. “Thank the Lord, Jackson hasn’t really had any significant [health struggles],” Zach recently told Us Weekly, adding: “He’s had a couple ear infections, which can be common with dwarfism. There’s a lot of potentials, but for now it’s too early to tell. “We actually have the same pediatrician for him that was my pediatrician growing up, so that’s been really nice because he’s familiar with dwarfism and those things.” For her part, Tori discussed the issues that occasionally arise with raising a litle person. Along with a gorgeous snapshot of her son on Instagram, Tori wrote the following seven days ago: “I often forget that my son is any different than yours. I forget that he has shorter legs, because he can get around and run just like any other 2 year old. “I forget he has short arms, because he can still reach everything around the house (even the stuff we don’t want him to).” She concluded in this emotional post: I forget that he’s different because he’s so capable and I see nothing other than my mister mister. Today pointed out that he is different and that’s never going to change. He watched as kids (many younger than him) rode rides at a festival here in town and he wasn’t able to join. Jackson wanted so bad to ride the airplanes that went up and down but the height requirement wouldn’t allow him to (which I totally understand!). It was harder for me than it was for him for sure. It was really the first time I was hit in the face with the fact my child is different. Im so proud of my husband and his outlook on it all and even more proud of my son who brushes things off with ease and I pray they both continue to do this. In the words of @jeremyroloff : if a bad attitude would fix it- I would have one. This was also just a reminder of why I love @disneyland so much: the land of no height requirements! This kid is meant to bring light to this world this I know for sure. View Slideshow: Tori and Zach Roloff: Secrets of the Little People, Big World Stars’ Private Lives
F or the ninth consecutive year Loyola High School—an all-male school based in Detroit—had a one hundred percent college acceptance rate amongst their seniors, Rolling Out reported. Detroit male high school maintains 100% college acceptance for 9 years in a row – Rolling Out https://t.co/oi8dfLMKXV #HBCU #HBCUnews — HBCU Lifestyle (@HBCU_Lifestyle) May 21, 2019 The Catholic school was created to overcome barriers to equitable education for youth from underserved communities. Built on the founding principles of “integrity, compassion, and courage” students who attend the school are taught the importance of not only excelling academically but making an impact in their local communities and beyond. The school has an initiative for juniors and seniors called the Loyola Work Experience Program that gives students the opportunity to work onsite at major corporations like DTE, Ford, and General Motors so they can learn how to navigate the corporate world. Loyola has an 8:1 teacher-to-student ratio and a nationally recognized debate team. Graduates will also be supported as they begin their college experience through the school’s High School to College Transition program. Over half of the students in this year’s graduating class will be the first in their families to attend college. They received over 100 college acceptance letters and collectively earned over $1 million in scholarships. The students celebrated their acceptances with a signing day hosted by former NBA player Jimmy King and sportscaster George Blaha . “Detroit needs strong college preparatory education,” school President Fr. Mark Luedtke, S.J. said in a statement, according to Rolling Out. “If we invest in what’s good for the city and what’s good for our young people, our schools will produce students ready for the next challenge in their professional lives. Every one of these young men has the potential to be a future leader in Detroit, and they have prepared themselves while at Loyola High School.” SEE ALSO: Students At LeBron James’ I Promise School Show Impressive Academic Improvement High School Graduate Who Received 139 College Acceptance Letters Is Headed To Xavier University Of Louisiana [ione_media_gallery src=”https://newsone.com” id=”3853200″ overlay=”true”]
NOW: Matthew Kinne has been denied bond. pic.twitter.com/TzkmymCCrv — Amanda WTVA (@WTVAAMANDA) May 24, 2019 Ex-Officer Matthew Kinne Accused Of Murdering Dominique Clayton The family of a Mississippi woman is looking for answers after she was murdered allegedly by the police officer she was romantically involved with. Dominique Clayton, 32, of Memphis was shot to death in her home on May 19. Fox 13 reports that Oxford police officer Matthew Kinne was arrested and charged in connection with Clayton’s murder. Family members told local news station that Clayton and Officer Kinne were having an affair. Oxford police said former Officer Matthew Kinne killed her prior to his termination because he wanted to cover up their affair. Clayton family attorney Carlos Moore is calling for the death penalty in the case saying this is capital murder, being that Kinne allegedly broke into Clayton’s house to kill her, reports Fox 13. “If you do decide to charge this man with capital murder and if the jury decides to convict him, I will happily join the family on the front row of death by firing squad,” Moore said. Moore said that at the time of the killing, it is believed that Kinne was in uniform and on duty. He said witnesses claim they saw Kinne’s police cruiser on the street Saturday night. “He was on duty, there will be a civil rights violation action filed against the city, as well as Matthew Kinne in his official capacity,” said Moore. According to Moore, Kinne would regularly go to Clayton’s house between the hours of 1:30 and 4 a.m. while on duty. “She thought that she was pregnant, she was late, and she did think that she was pregnant. And she did tell Matthew Kinne she was pregnant by him,” Moore said. Kinne is being held without bond. A GoFundMe has been set up for Clayton’s four children, one of which found her dead after the shooting. GoFundMe set up for children of Mississippi mother who was murdered https://t.co/3w87djnSlt — FOX13 Memphis (@FOX13Memphis) May 23, 2019 R.I.P. to Dominique Clayton, this story is so crazy. We hope her family gets the justice they so deserve.
Source: Xavier Collin/Image Press Agency / Splash News Will Smith Shares BTS Footage From “Aladdin” Premiere Will Smith has been on a whirlwind press tour for “Aladdin” and fortunately for us he recorded a lot of it on his own. Check out the footage — it’s pure comedy! Source: Xavier Collin/Image Press Agency / Splash News Gotta love how Willow’s grown get up had him so overprotective!
Source: Skip Bolen/WireImage / Getty Dooky Chase Restaurant Owner Leah Chase Dies At 96 The city of New Orleans is reeling after one of its icons unfortunately passed. Leah Chase, the co-owner and executive chef of the city’s famed Dooky Chase restaurant died Saturday. The news was confirmed by her family who released a statement on Facebook. Hailed as the “Queen of Creole Cuisine”, Leah was known nationwide for her work feeding those on the front lines of the Civil Rights Movement including Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks. Later in life, she’d go on to feed sitting Presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush. Her historic restaurant was helmed as NOLA’s “first white-tablecloth restaurant for black patrons.” Celebs are remembering Ms. Chase on social media. It is with great sadness that I share with you the passing of legendary chef #LeahChase . Her family just released word that she has died. Y’all, Ms. Chase was one of my favorites. Anytime I would visit New Orleans 1/ pic.twitter.com/5KUqvvb5LB — rolandsmartin (@rolandsmartin) June 2, 2019 One of the greatest people of our time passed at age 96. Sending all our love to the family and friends of the one and only Leah Chase. I’m so blessed that I got to cook with her, cook for her, and enjoy meals from her own hands, but mostly I’m grateful … https://t.co/t4iJTMLGqv pic.twitter.com/T3Ss9YvtrT — Andrew Zimmern (@andrewzimmern) June 2, 2019 R.I.P. to Ms. Leah Chase.
Source: Enzo Figueres / Getty Kahlil Greene Becomes First Black Student to Be Elected as the Student Body President Yale University recently elected its first black student body president. Kahlil Greene officially became the first black student to be elected to the position in the university’s 318-year history. View this post on Instagram I’m super excited to officially announce that I will serve as your Yale College Council President alongside Grace Kang for the 2019-2020 school year. Let’s work as a community to make this campus a better place! A post shared by Kahlil Greene (@big_kah_una) on Apr 12, 2019 at 6:33pm PDT The Montgomery County, Maryland native couldn’t be more excited about his new position and he’s hoping to affect change. “I feel like I wanted to kind of amplify the voices of the underserved communities on campus, especially students of color. So being the first black president, I feel like I’m in a position where I can really do that,” said Greene to Fox 5 D.C. His election, he added “symbolizes the progress the university has made over the years,” but also adds that there’s still much to be done. “I think that we can be a more diverse and inclusive campus and I’m grateful for the role that I’ll have in making that happen.” Only 7 percent of the Ivy League institution’s student population is Black, so this is a major milestone in the grand scheme of things. This is possibly the first of many leadership roles for Greene. Greene is currently majoring in economics and political science at the Ivy League institution and revealed that he is considering a career in politics.
E ducator and historian Lonnie G. Bunch III has dedicated his career to the preservation of important facets of American history. After leading the creation and development of the National Museum of African American History and Culture, the Newark native will now serve as the Smithsonian Institution’s 14th secretary; making him the first Black person to be appointed to the position, NPR reported. Smithsonian names Lonnie Bunch III as new secretary, the first African American to lead the institution https://t.co/9e9BhKCGCW — The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) May 28, 2019 Bunch was selected by the Board of Regents to take on the role. He succeeds David Skorton who has served as the institution’s secretary since 2015. In his new position, Bunch will be responsible for steering the direction and driving growth for the Smithsonian as well as overseeing the daily operations of all of its libraries, museums, and the National Zoo. He began his journey with the Smithsonian nearly 30 years ago and has held several executive level positions at the National Museum of American History. When he became the director of the National Museum of African American History and Culture there was only one person on staff and no funding. Through his leadership the museum—which has over 40,000 artifacts that capture the essence of the Black experience—has attracted upwards of 4 million visitors. Bunch has also spearheaded capital campaigns for the Chicago Historical Society where he served as president from 2001 through 2005. One of his goals as secretary of the 173-year-old institution is to keep history relevant in a digital age. He wants the artifacts and information housed in the Smithsonian institutions to foster creativity and innovation. “It is important for the public to view the Smithsonian not simply as an addict of nostalgia, but as a cauldron of ideas of innovation and understanding that can be transformative for our country,” he said in a statement. “It must be an institution that is ripe with technology, an institution better suited to serve 21st century audiences, and an institution of research, of great collections, and of wonder that helps America understand itself and its world.” Bunch is slated to officially start his new position on June 16. SEE ALSO: Henrietta Lacks’ Portrait Will Live At The Smithsonian Museum Children’s Museum Celebrating African History And Culture Coming To Baltimore [ione_media_gallery src=”https://newsone.com” id=”3853368″ overlay=”true”]
R eceiving over 100 college acceptance letters can be overwhelming for a high school graduate, but for 18-year-old Normandie Cormier , it was clear that she would begin her next chapter at a historically Black college and university. According to USA Today , after being accepted to 139 colleges through the Common App and the Common Black College App, the Louisiana native has decided to further her education at Xavier University in New Orleans. Most parents and guidance counselors advise high school seniors to apply to more than one college — to have at least one “backup school.” Well, Normandie Cormier of Lafayette had more than 100 backups. https://t.co/JFTxju45Cc — azcentral (@azcentral) May 29, 2019 Cormier has always displayed excellence when it came to academics. Early on she decided that she wanted to enter a program that allowed her to simultaneously earn her high school diploma and a college degree. With the support of her family, she enrolled in Early College Academy which is a part of South Louisiana Community College’s campus. Outside of school, she was very involved in her local community, often mentoring young girls who want to pursue careers in STEM, tutoring youngsters and adults, and volunteering at a nursing home. The journey hasn’t been easy for Cormier. She’s dealt with several immune system issues which have caused many hospital visits. Despite her health ailments, she prevailed. She ended up graduating with a high school diploma and an associate’s degree. Her dedication to her education and making a positive impact in her community caught the attention of higher education institutions across the globe and earned her $8.7 million in scholarships and grants from GE, Burger King and other companies and organizations. Her hospital visits led her to choose a career path in medicine. “Since I was a child, I was always in and out of the hospital,” Cormier told USA Today. “When I was young, it affected my self-esteem. But now I can use it to inspire others.” She said selecting Xavier University of Louisiana was an easy decision because her personal goals are aligned with the school’s values. The aspiring doctor hopes that her journey will inspire others. SEE ALSO: Yale University Elects First Black Student Body President 14-Year-Old Sydney Wilson Becomes Youngest Student Accepted Into Spelman [ione_media_gallery src=”https://newsone.com” id=”3853200″ overlay=”true”]