Tag Archives: rights

Ga. Man Sues NBA Star Dwight Howard For Threatening Him Over Speaking Out About Alleged Relationship (Exclusive)

Source: Jason Merritt / Getty Masin Elije Says Dwight Howard & Others Have Harassed Him And Threatened His Life A Georgia man has sued NBA star Dwight Howard after he said he refused to sign a nondisclosure agreement about their alleged relationship. Masin Elije sued Howard for assault and infliction of emotional distress last month in an Atlanta-area court, alleging Howard has been menacing him and threatening his life after he didn’t agree to sign paperwork that would’ve barred him from speaking out about their communications. The man said Howard approached him late last year to sign the NDA, and when he refused, Howard, along with his “agents, employees and associates,” began a campaign of harassment and intimidation. Elije said he began receiving calls, texts, DMs and emails from people and profiles that he did not know, and all of the messages were menacing, according to the suit, which was obtained by BOSSIP. Elije, who was born Maurice Singletary and is the author of the book “Industry Hoe,” has said on social media that he had an intimate relationship with Howard , but doesn’t spell out the nature of their alleged relationship in the case’s complaint. The plaintiff said he begged Howard to stop the abuse, then he changed his number and contacted the cops – but all to no avail. He said he’s suffered harm physically and mentally as well as financial losses, according to the suit. Elije wants his day in court, along with money damages for the alleged harassment. “Mr. Howard’s plan to use his celebrity status and resources to harass, intimidate and threaten Mr. Elije was intentional, extreme and outrageous,” Elije’s complaint states. “Mr. Howard acted without provocation or justification. Mr. Howard went beyond all possible bounds odd decency and is utterly intolerable in a civilized society.” Elije’s lawyer Sadeer Sabbak declined to comment, except to confirm that the lawsuit was indeed pending. Howard has yet to respond to the suit.

Read the original:
Ga. Man Sues NBA Star Dwight Howard For Threatening Him Over Speaking Out About Alleged Relationship (Exclusive)

Michelle Obama’s ‘Becoming’ Could Become The Best-Selling Memoir In History

See more here:

F ormer first lady Michelle Obama ’s memoir Becoming has inspired everything from curriculums to book clubs and the book’s popularity is continuing to grow. According to the Washington Post , the autobiography is slated to become the best-selling memoir of all-time. Michelle Obama's memoir 'Becoming' could become the biggest-selling autobiography ever. https://t.co/B2MPfAuUcd — MSNBC (@MSNBC) March 27, 2019 The book—which was released in November—has sold over 10 million copies to date through print, digital, and audio purchases. It was a part of a two-book deal that the Obamas inked with Penguin Random House. Obama has been traveling across the country to promote Becoming and has left a trail of inspiration with every book tour stop. During the book tour, she has had candid conversations with individuals like Valerie Jarrett , Oprah Winfrey , Sarah Jessica Parker , and others. Becoming was a record-breaking memoir right out of the gate. 725,000 copies were sold on the day it was released and that number rose to 2 million 15 days after it made its debut. Those numbers made it not only the fastest-selling book of 2018 but the best-selling hardcover book of last year as well. It also made buzz globally, topping best-seller lists in places like Greece and Britain. “I’m not aware, in my personal experience with Penguin Random House, that we ever sold 10 million units of a memoir,” said Penguin Random House Chief Executive Markus Dohle in a statement. Obama has been humbled by the positive reception of her book and hopes that it will continue to inspire for generations to come. “I wanted to take people on a journey of a book,” she said at a recent book tour stop in Portland. “It’s so important for us to own our journeys. We are all this little girl just struggling to build a life.” News about this milestone comes weeks after it was announced that her alma mater, the Whitney Young Magnet High School in Chicago, will be naming an athletic facility in her honor. SEE ALSO:   Chicago’s Whitney Young Magnet High School To Name Athletic Center After Michelle Obama #MichelleTaughtMe: Michelle Obama’s Book Inspires Curriculum For Black Girls [ione_media_gallery src=”https://newsone.com” id=”3849638″ overlay=”true”]

Michelle Obama’s ‘Becoming’ Could Become The Best-Selling Memoir In History

Serena Williams Joins Forces With Bumble To Support Women Of Color Entrepreneurs

Read the original here:

B lack women are the fastest-growing group of entrepreneurs, however, they are the least supported when it comes to securing venture capital to fund their businesses. Tennis star Serena Williams is looking to change that. According to Fortune , she has teamed up with the app Bumble to invest in women of color entrepreneurs. Serena Williams invests in Bumble’s fund focused on female founders of color https://t.co/WsWo3kW1na — FORTUNE (@FortuneMagazine) March 21, 2019 Bumble—a location-based social and dating app—created a fund specifically for start-ups established by diverse women. Through the fund, they’ve been able to provide women entrepreneurs with capital ranging from $5,000 to $250,000. Amongst the companies that have been supported through the initiative include Cleo Capital, Beautycon, and Alice. “We’re aiming to build a bigger table in the world of venture capital, investing early-stage and focusing primarily on businesses founded and led by women of color and those from underrepresented groups,” read the company’s website .  “We’re committed to ending bias in venture capital and beyond.” Wolfe Herd , Founder & CEO of Bumble, says through the partnership with Williams she wants to provide women with “more keys to success, while encouraging them to push their ideas forward and keep thinking big when it comes to their business ventures.” Williams has been a fierce advocate for women’s rights and empowerment. She has used her platform to spread awareness about everything from equal pay to body positivity. She’s excited to team up with Bumble and support women entrepreneurs. “I’ve learned how impactful one woman’s voice can be when given a platform to speak and be heard. I am passionate about building on this progress and opening doors for women of all backgrounds, especially women of color, to share their message and trust in their potential to accomplish great things,” she said in a statement, according to the news outlet. “By joining forces with the Bumble Fund, we will continue amplifying female entrepreneurs and creating a place for them to personally and professionally champion their growth.” Her partnership with Bumble comes a month after it was announced that she was appointed to serve on Poshmark’s board of directors. SEE ALSO: Serena Williams Appointed To Join Poshmark’s Board Of Directors Meghan Markle Has Serena Williams’ Back [ione_media_gallery src=”https://newsone.com” id=”3849638″ overlay=”true”]

Serena Williams Joins Forces With Bumble To Support Women Of Color Entrepreneurs

Bye Bye, Biden: Former Nevada Candidate Lucy Flores Accuses Joe Biden Of Sexual Harassment

Source: Ethan Miller / Getty Joe Biden Is Being Accused Of An Inappropriate Kiss Say it ain’t so, Joe…. Former Nevada state assemblywoman Lucy Flores has accused Joe Biden of some unwanted touching in an article she wrote, titled, “An Awkward Kiss Changed How I Saw Joe Biden.” The piece gained a lot of traction after being published by  New York Magazine ‘s The Cut on Friday. This uncomfortable incident allegedly occurred at a campaign event back in 2014, when Flores was running for lieutenant governor. The politician says that Biden was there “to speak to my leadership and my potential to be second-in-command — an important role he knew firsthand.” But, according to Flores, Biden crossed some serious lines when he came up from behind her, smelled her hair, and then kissed the back of her head. Flores  writes : I felt him get closer to me from behind. He leaned further in and inhaled my hair. I was mortified. I thought to myself, ‘I didn’t wash my hair today and the vice-president of the United States is smelling it. And also, what in the actual fuck? Why is the vice-president of the United States smelling my hair?’ He proceeded to plant a big slow kiss on the back of my head. My brain couldn’t process what was happening. I was embarrassed. I was shocked. I was confused. There is a Spanish saying, ‘ tragame tierra,’  it means, ‘earth, swallow me whole.’ I couldn’t move and I couldn’t say anything. I wanted nothing more than to get Biden away from me. My name was called and I was never happier to get on stage in front of an audience. As for Biden’s response, his team released a statement saying that he has no recollection of a time when this incident would have happened. “Vice President Biden was pleased to support Lucy Flores’s candidacy for Lieutenant Governor of Nevada in 2014 and to speak on her behalf at a well-attended public event,” Bill Russo–a spokesman for Biden–said in a statement via The Hill . Russo continued, “Neither then, nor in the years since, did he or the staff with him at the time have an inkling that Ms. Flores had been at any time uncomfortable, nor do they recall what she describes…But Vice President Biden believes that Ms. Flores has every right to share her own recollection and reflections, and that it is a change for better in our society that she has the opportunity to do so. He respects Ms. Flores as a strong and independent voice in our politics and wishes her only the best.”  

View post:
Bye Bye, Biden: Former Nevada Candidate Lucy Flores Accuses Joe Biden Of Sexual Harassment

Pure Comedy: Tracy Morgan Recalls Getting Called Out For Throwing Dirty Draws At Luther Vandross [Video]

Source: NBC / Getty Tracy Morgan Once Threw Dirty Underwear At Luther Vandross Tracy Morgan is quite the storyteller. We have no idea if this particular story is true or not, but YIKES if it is… LMFAOOO!

Read more from the original source:
Pure Comedy: Tracy Morgan Recalls Getting Called Out For Throwing Dirty Draws At Luther Vandross [Video]

Gimme The Loot: WWE Women’s Champ Michelle McCool Wants Women Paid Equally As Men At Wrestlemania [Video]

Source: Chris Ryan – Corbis / Getty Michelle McCool Wants Pay Equality For Women In WWE For the first time in 35 years, Wrestlemania will be headlined by women. WWE legend Michelle McCool is ecstatic about that, but she would like the bag to match the billing and right now that ain’t happening. She spoke to TMZ about her support of women getting salary equality with their male counterparts. Peep what she had to say below. A main event is indeed a main event. Pay the ladies!

Read the original post:
Gimme The Loot: WWE Women’s Champ Michelle McCool Wants Women Paid Equally As Men At Wrestlemania [Video]

Stiffy Minaj? Stylist Sues Onika Over $43,200 — Claims She Got Stiffed For 26 Days Of Labor In Lawsuit

Source: Johnny Nunez / Getty Nicki Minaj Sues For $40,000 Unpaid Bill A stylist named Cristina Acevedo is suing Nicki Minaj for $43,200 in unpaid fees. Acevedo says instead of Nicki responding to her invoice with a deposit, she responded with “girl, goodbye!” In lawsuit documents obtained by The Blast , the stylist was allegedly hired for Minaj in 2017 at the rate of $1,500 per day. Nicki allegedly hired the stylist to outfit her for nearly a month while she toured across the country. Acevedo claimed she tirelessly worked over 10 hours per day for the rapper over the course of 24 days while traveling around the United States. View this post on Instagram Exclusive first look @ the new season- coming soon #FendiPrintsOn #NickiWRLDTour A post shared by Barbie® (@nickiminaj) on Mar 28, 2019 at 6:12am PDT At the end of the trip, however, Minaj refused to “pay even one penny” for the work. After nagging for her money, Acevedo claims she eventually received an email from Minaj that read, “No one is paying you 36 thousand dollars,” adding, “Send an email with some sense or don’t send any others. This isn’t your get rich quick scheme.” Minaj allegedly added a “girl, goodbye” at the end. Yikes! Acevedo claims she’s now owed $43,200. Acevedo included Minaj and her companies in the lawsuit, including Pink Friday Productions and Pink Personality, Inc. So far Nicki has NOT responded.

Continue reading here:
Stiffy Minaj? Stylist Sues Onika Over $43,200 — Claims She Got Stiffed For 26 Days Of Labor In Lawsuit

Carmelo Anthony Explains His Ruthless Social Media Clapbacks To Desus & Mero [Video]

Source: Elsa / Getty Desus & Mero Chop It Up With Carmelo Anthony Anybody who knows Desus and Mero knows just how much they love Carmelo Anthony , so it’s only right the former Knicks star stop by their Showtime series. While on the show, Melo talks about his time with Allen Iverson and the Denver Nuggets, his return to Madison Square Garden, and clapping back against critics on social media. Peep the clips from their conversation below:

View original post here:
Carmelo Anthony Explains His Ruthless Social Media Clapbacks To Desus & Mero [Video]

Kate Gosselin Pretends to Celebrate Birthday with Her Kids

Kate Gosselin turned 44 years old on March 28. And the polarizing reality star really wants you to think she celebrated the occasion with her kids. The mother of eight shared the above and below photos on her Instagram page in honor of this birthday, writing as a caption to them all: So this is 44…. I was acting silly because my kids insisted on taking pictures lol! We had a fun day! We’re very glad to hear this, of course, if it’s actually the case. Kate has been very quiet on social media over the past several months while she and Jon once again battle for custody of their kids. The latter actually now has legal custody of son Collin after Kate failed to show up at a hearing in December during which a judge was going to decide on the child’s circumstances. Without Kate present, Collin was temporarily awarded to Jon. For the past year or so, meanwhile, daughter Hannah has also been living with her father, despite Kate having legal custody in her case. Moreover, court documents submitted by Jon and his legal team in October paint a very dark portrait of Kate. They actually read as follows: “It would not be in the best interests of the minor child…to have independent time with mother or to have mother share legal custody of the minor child.” Jon is saying here that he thinks Kate is a danger to her son , which goes way beyond the occasional mean Tweet or barb about his ex-wife; it’s very serious, legal business. We’re not taking sides or anything here, as we’ve mocked both parties plenty of times in the past: Jon for being a neglectful dad and Kate for being an exploitive mother. This is all just a lengthy preamble for why we sort of question whether any of Kate’s kids were actually with her on her birthday. She doesn’t seem to be on great terms with them right now and… well… … they are ALL behind the camera? There’s no photo at all of a single one with his or her mom? Then again, we do know that twins Mady and Cara are getting along well with their mother right now, for business purposes at the very least. They’ll play key roles on the upcoming Kate Gosselin dating show, which we really wish was a thing we were just making up. “We’ve been nudging her to date for years,” Mady told press members gathered a couple months back about this project. “She deserves to be happy. Everyone deserves to be happy.” This series will premiere in June and not feature any sextuplets because Jon says he wouldn’t allow it. “I didn’t sign their work permits,” Jon has said of the program and the role of his younger children, adding: “That’s why they can’t film. They came to me and I was like, ‘No, I’m not signing that.'”

See the original post here:
Kate Gosselin Pretends to Celebrate Birthday with Her Kids

Jenelle Evans: STFU About My Marriage!

Jenelle Evans would like your attention. She'd like you to listen up. Could you scoot up close to your computer screens please? Turn off the television? Remove all distractions? The polarizing MTV personality knows what you've been saying and thinking about her marriage to well-known bigot David Eason and she very much wants to set the record straight. Okay? Are you ready? Scroll down to see what Jenelle has to say… 1. Are They Together or What? All loyal Teen Mom fans have been wondering for months about the status of this marriage, beginning back in October with the alleged assault against Jenelle… committed by Eason. 2. Yes, Jenelle Stood Up for David Afterward She claimed he didn’t touch her at all. But then rumors of a separation starting making their way around the Internet. 3. What Made Folks Think This? Well… Jenelle wondered aloud online in February, ‘Wonder where my husband went?” — which seemed to be the first time she hinted at a split. 4. SINGLE! And then David changed his Facebook profile to include his “single” status. Speaks for itself, right? 5. Me Too! And then Evans first changed her status to read “separated,” prior to really driving this point home. 6. As F-ck, People She even changed her profile picture and said she was “Single AF.” View Slideshow

More here:
Jenelle Evans: STFU About My Marriage!