A collective of organizations and activists dedicated to spreading awareness about racial inequality within our country’s criminal justice system and ending mass incarceration is on a mission to unite Black mothers who can’t afford to post bail with their families just in time for Mother’s Day. For the third year in a row, the National Bail Out is leading the Black Mamas Bail Out campaign as an avenue to help economically disadvantaged African American women who have been impacted by the unjust cash bail system, People reported. Free Black Mamas Group Reunites Black Women with their Families for Mother’s Day https://t.co/v4r0mlhbpD — People (@people) May 11, 2019 The number of women of color sitting behind bars for non-violent offenses is growing at an alarming rate. According to a report released by the Prison Policy Initiative , 80 percent of women in jails are mothers and a majority of them are the primary caretakers for their children. The National Coalition of Black Civic Participation estimated that 60 percent of incarcerated Black women have dependent children. The barriers and lack of resources provided for Black women in these situations led to the creation of the #FreeBlackMamas movement. Through the initiative the collective is aiming to bail out over 100 women across 35 cities this year. So far there has been over $350,000 raised. Since its inception in 2017, 300 mothers have been released and reunited with their families. Last year alone, there were over 150 mothers released. The collective’s efforts go far beyond simply bailing individuals out. As part of the campaign, the National Bail Out created the Free Black Mama’s Fellowship; an 8-week paid program that provides advocacy-focused workshops so formerly incarcerated women can turn their pain into progress and become change agents in the bail reform space. “We understand the bail outs as connected to the long and deep history of anti-Blackness. We see these fights to free our mamas for Mother’s Day and to fight against money bail really as fights that continue the work of abolition that our ancestors began,” Marbre Stahly-Butts , one of NBO’s founding members, said in a statement. “We see bail as a symptom of an underlying problem. We believe that people are more than the mistake they made. When folks have done harm, we think there are better ways to deal with that harm than to put them in a cage.” The initiative has proven to be nothing short of effective and impactful. “It was a beautiful feeling, for people who did not know me, to come and get me out for Mother’s Day,” one of the mothers who was recently released and reunited with her family told ABC News . “They became family.” SEE ALSO: T.I. Teams Up With Georgia Church To Bail Out Nonviolent Offenders For Easter Meek Mill And Lawmakers Propose Probation Reform Bill [ione_media_gallery src=”https://newsone.com” id=”3852325″ overlay=”true”]
M otherhood is full of love, selflessness, and sacrifices and a Michigan-based mom captured the essence of those three qualities when she made the decision to skip her own college graduation to attend her son’s commencement ceremony. Sharonda Wilson ’s choice to miss out on a major milestone to support her son Stephan did not go unappreciated or overlooked. According to ABC News , he ensured that she got the opportunity to walk across the graduation stage and she received her degree at his graduation. Mom who skipped her own college graduation to attend son's surprised with a degree. https://t.co/E4gLCJNB6q pic.twitter.com/jlaD2B7Gm9 — ABC News (@ABC) May 11, 2019 Wilson, who earned her degree from Ferris State University was set to graduate on the same day as her son who attended Central Michigan University. After learning that his mom planned on skipping her own graduation to be at his commencement ceremony, Stephan was inclined to do something special for her. He connected with a friend who worked with Central Michigan University President Bob Davies . Davies then connected with senior leadership at Ferris State University to get permission to award Wilson with her degree. All of this happened hours before the graduation was slated to take place. “My mom is a selfless person,” Stephan said in a statement. “I wouldn’t have been [at graduation] without her. That is the honest truth.” While sitting in her seat getting ready to cheer her child on for his educational accomplishment, to Wilson’s surprise she was called to the stage and Davies awarded her with her hard-earned bachelor’s of science in business administration. 23-year-old Stephan—who majored in fine arts— was moved to tears. Davies told CNN that he was grateful to be able to create that special moment for Sharonda and her son. “Sharonda and Stephan both put in the long hours and hard work, and they deserved the chance to celebrate together as a family,” he said. “We appreciated the opportunity to partner with our friends at Ferris State to recognize and celebrate this milestone achievement for both Stephan and Sharonda.” SEE ALSO: 99-Year-Old Black Woman Veteran Gets Second Chance To Walk Across Graduation Stage Teen Becomes St. Thomas High School’s First-Ever Black Valedictorian [ione_media_gallery src=”https://newsone.com” id=”3852226″ overlay=”true”]
B lack doctors are making power moves in medicine. According to the Chicago Crusader , a group of African American medical professionals joined forces to open up Chicago’s only Black-owned urgent care facility. They just opened the first Black owned urgent care facility on the south side of Chicago. https://t.co/OnUEIvKAeb — #becauseofthemwecan (@Becauseofthem) May 9, 2019 The center—dubbed Premier Health Urgent Care—is the only one of its kind in the Hyde Park community. It was a collaborative effort between Reuben C. Rutland, MD , Airron Richardson, MD , Michael A. McGee, MD , and former NFL player Dr. Gregory Primus . Aware of the lack of access to adequate health services, they were determined to cultivate a space where individuals can receive proper care and support. The center goes beyond providing urgent care, it has mental health and wellness services as well. “We are happy to open an urgent care in Hyde Park because the community needs it. I see so many urban professionals who either delay or go without care because of time constraints. No one has 8 hours to wait in the emergency department for a minor illness or the flexibility to wait 3 weeks because their primary care doctor is booked solid. We are here to help fill that gap,” Dr. Rutland said in a statement. “We are not in competition with the doctors’ offices or the emergency department. We are a supplement to them both, to help relieve the stress on those two facilities.” The founders are also using the center as an avenue to combat violence in Chicago. They will give some of its profits to an organization called Project Outreach and Prevention which develops programming for at-risk youth in an effort to keep them off the streets and on the right track. There are several Black medical professionals launching urgent care centers designed to help individuals from underserved communities. In 2018, Dr. Tamara Moise and Wadson Fils opened the doors to Big Apple Urgent Care, Brooklyn’s first Black-owned urgent care center. SEE ALSO: Yale Physician Aims To Increase Racial Representation In Medicine Viola Davis Spreads Awareness About Diabetes Through New Documentary [ione_media_gallery src=”https://newsone.com” id=”3852325″ overlay=”true”]
Source: Picture by Tambako the Jaguar / Getty Couple Dies From Bubonic Plague After Eating Raw Rodent Meat According to the BBC , Mongolian couple died after eating raw rodent meat intended as a “folk remedy”. The couple allegedly ate the meat and contracted the bubonic plague passed away shortly after. A six-day quarantine was declared on May 1 in the Bayan Olgii province in Mongolia, which sits by the borders to both China and Russia. The reason for consuming the raw meat, you ask? It was reportedly supposed to bring good health and the rodent the two ate was a marmot, which has been known to carry the plague. It’s rare for the bubonic plague to show up in humans these days, but unless treated with antibiotics, it proves to be deadly, as it did in Europe and Asia centuries ago. 118 people were in direct contact with the couple, including tourists from Switzerland, Sweden, South Korea, and Kazakhstan. “After the quarantine [was announced] not many people, even locals, were in the streets for fear of catching the disease,” US Peace Corps volunteer Sebastian Pique said. Those who had interacted with the couple were treated with antibiotics for prophylaxis. Stats say the bubonic plague has a 30 to 60 percent fatality rate. The last time a case was reported in Mongolia was in 2017.
Source: Picture by Tambako the Jaguar / Getty Couple Dies From Bubonic Plague After Eating Raw Rodent Meat According to the BBC , Mongolian couple died after eating raw rodent meat intended as a “folk remedy”. The couple allegedly ate the meat and contracted the bubonic plague passed away shortly after. A six-day quarantine was declared on May 1 in the Bayan Olgii province in Mongolia, which sits by the borders to both China and Russia. The reason for consuming the raw meat, you ask? It was reportedly supposed to bring good health and the rodent the two ate was a marmot, which has been known to carry the plague. It’s rare for the bubonic plague to show up in humans these days, but unless treated with antibiotics, it proves to be deadly, as it did in Europe and Asia centuries ago. 118 people were in direct contact with the couple, including tourists from Switzerland, Sweden, South Korea, and Kazakhstan. “After the quarantine [was announced] not many people, even locals, were in the streets for fear of catching the disease,” US Peace Corps volunteer Sebastian Pique said. Those who had interacted with the couple were treated with antibiotics for prophylaxis. Stats say the bubonic plague has a 30 to 60 percent fatality rate. The last time a case was reported in Mongolia was in 2017.
Source: Steven Ferdman / Getty The Wu-Tang Clan Answers The Internet’s Most Pressing Questions U-God, Inspectah Deck, and Masta Killa of the Wu-Tang Clan were the latest celebs to take the WIRED’s famous Autocomplete Interview. The rappers answered the internet’s most searched questions about themselves including things like: What does Wu-Tang Clan stand for? Is Logic in Wu-Tang? How was Wu-Tang Clan formed? And much more. Peep the interview down below to hear their answers for yourself.
Source: Steven Ferdman / Getty The Wu-Tang Clan Answers The Internet’s Most Pressing Questions U-God, Inspectah Deck, and Masta Killa of the Wu-Tang Clan were the latest celebs to take the WIRED’s famous Autocomplete Interview. The rappers answered the internet’s most searched questions about themselves including things like: What does Wu-Tang Clan stand for? Is Logic in Wu-Tang? How was Wu-Tang Clan formed? And much more. Peep the interview down below to hear their answers for yourself.
Source: Stephen J. Cohen / Getty Steve Harvey Tapes Final Episode Of ‘Steve’ This is probably why this man can’t sleep …SMH. “Steve”, the daytime talk series lead by Steve Harvey for the past seven years, has come to an end despite having great ratings. The final episode of the show was filmed just this week. Harvey’s wife Marjorie shared the good luck smooch she planted on her hubby right before cameras started to film for a final time. It’s worth noting that “Steve” didn’t go out sad! This season, “Steve” averaged about 1.8 million viewers a week , putting it at No. 5 among syndicated talk shows behind “Dr. Phil,” “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” “Live with Kelly and Ryan” and “Maury.” SMH. But why was it canceled? Scroll down to read why… View this post on Instagram before the last show #harveys A post shared by Marjorie Harvey (@marjorie_harvey) on May 9, 2019 at 4:56pm PDT According to Variety , Harvey lost his spot arbitrarily after NBC announced plans to do a talk show with Kelly Clarkson . There was no other reason reported. Shady af! The pre-taped episodes are set to run through June. Steve ran for seven years on NBC, with Harvey one of the few people of color with a successful talk show in the daytime slot in years. The talk show was previously pushed as The Steve Harvey Show but changed styles and tone after Endeavor’s IMG Original Content reached a deal with Harvey in 2017 that included him receiving a majority stake in the show. Steve doesn’t take the cancellation of his successful daytime show as a loss at all. Hit the flip to hear the speech he gave to his crew after the final episode was taped.
Source: Jason Kempin / Getty Donnell Rawlings Stops By Ebro In The Morning Donnell Rawlings is known for being outta pocket, and when he stopped by Ebro In The Morning earlier this week, that kind of activity is exactly what went down. Beside the comedian spending the whole interview arguing with the hosts, he also talks about having a loyal audience, the difference between East and West coast weed, and comedians perfecting their craft.