Tag Archives: artists

Diddy Says Hip-Hop Will Miss Lil Wayne’s ‘Energy’ During Jail Time

Weezy shot footage for Diddy-Dirty Money’s ‘Strobe Lights’ video over the weekend. By Shaheem Reid Diddy Photo: MTV News On Monday, Lil Wayne sent an exclusive pre-jail clip to MTV News in which he filmed scenes for Diddy -Dirty Money’s upcoming “Strobe Lights” video at Miami’s Fountainebleu hotel. We caught up with Puff to get some more details on the track. “On Last Train to Paris, Wayne is on the album, Drake is on the album, we’re trying to get Hov on the album, trying to get Janelle Mon

Gorillaz Return — With Bruce Willis — In ‘Stylo’ Video

Clip shows band racing down a deserted highway with ‘Cop Out’ star in hot pursuit. By James Montgomery Gorillaz’s 2D Photo: MTV There are plenty of questions raised in the Gorillaz’ new “Stylo” video — the first off their Plastic Beach album, which hits stores next week — and very few answers provided. For example, where are Murdoc, 2-D and (the now robotic) Noodle going? Why are they in such a hurry to get there? What’s up with all the bullet holes in their car? Where’s loveable drummer Russel? And, perhaps most important of all, what’s Bruce Willis doing there? Yes, it’s a pretty obtuse thing, an ominous clip that matches the downright spooky vibe of the song (which features cameos by Mos Def and Bobby Womack). The video shows three-quarters of the band balling down a deserted stretch of California highway in a bullet-riddled ’69 Camaro, being pursued by a donut-loving cop. Presented in 3-D, the ‘rillaz look frazzled and frightened: 2-D appears to be on the brink of collapse, and the bags under Murdoc’s eyes are fleshy and pronounced. And Noodle — who, as Gorillaz fans will recall, may or may not have died at the conclusion of the “El Ma

Elliott Yamin Stuck In Chile, Running Low On Insulin

Former ‘American Idol’ contestant was in Chile for a show when Saturday’s 8.8 earthquake struck. By Gil Kaufman Elliott Yamin Photo: Nick Spanos For now, Elliott Yamin is OK, but if he needs to stay in earthquake-ravaged Chile much longer, the diabetic former “American Idol” contestant might run into some problems. On Monday evening, almost three days after a massive 8.8 quake rattled the South American country, Yamin told his Twitter followers, “amazing outpour of support out there! … can’t thank yall enuff!! … I’m NOW DOING OK AS FAR INSULIN GOES! … no need 2 wrry.” The tweet came after Yamin told Fox News that he was starting to worry about his supply of insulin. “I am a Type 1 diabetic and I only packed enough insulin supplies for my pump to last a couple more days,” he said in one of the many interviews he’s done since Saturday’s massive tremor shook the country. The quake hit just hours after the season five third-place “Idol” finisher performed at a singing competition in the city of Vi

French Montana Says Debut Album Needs To Be A ‘Masterpiece’

‘I’m not no overnight rapper,’ Akon signee tells Mixtape Daily. By Shaheem Reid French Montana Photo: Konvict Music The O.D.: A Mixtape Daily Exclusive French Montana is in no rush to put out his debut album. One of Akon’s newest signees said he has enough money to continue serving up material through mixtapes, such as his latest, Mac Wit Da Cheese 2. His first album has to be classic, French said. “My album is set for late summer,” French said last week while shooting a video for his mixtape track “Bad Habits,” with guest Bun B . “It’s called Excuse My French. I’m just working. I wanna come with a masterpiece, man. I’m not no overnight rapper. I’m comfortable with where I’m at. My followers are my real followers. I ain’t no phase. I’m here to stay. [The release] could be late summer, it could come out past then, as long as it’s a masterpiece when we put it out. … You gotta understand, that’s what they gonna remember you for, your first album. Biggie’s Ready to Die, UGK’s first album — you wanna come with the same thing. The title gotta live up to the music.” Bun and French share a mutual respect for each other’s grinds, Montana said. “The video is called ‘Bad Habits,’ ” Montana explained. “Everybody got a bad habit. I sent [the track] to Bun. Bun heard it, laid the verse in like five minutes. I sent it to him, he called me back in five minutes. I was like, ‘Oh my God.’ ” “I was in the lab, I was already in that zone,” Bun added. “It was something that I felt made sense, that I felt represented his movement, repped my movement, and we spoke to people on a real level. That’s one thing about UGK music. We can’t be fabricating sh–. We kept it real with each other.” Streets Is Talking: News And Notes From The Underground French isn’t the only new guy Akon is looking to put out. The worldwide superstar just signed Southern California’s Ya Boy to his Kon Live company. “Ya Boy is one of the hardest workers today. … He’s an amazing artist that never got a chance to shine,” Akon said in a statement. “He never gave up, and now he has a chance to shine not only on the West Coast, but internationally.” Ya Boy’s new LP should be out later this year. For other artists featured in Mixtape Daily, check out Mixtape Daily Headlines . Related Videos Mixtape Daily: Lloyd Banks

Go here to see the original:
French Montana Says Debut Album Needs To Be A ‘Masterpiece’

Trina Talks Leaked ‘Personal’ Photos

‘I’m actually having it looked into by the FBI,’ Miami MC says of the situation. By Jayson Rodriguez Trina Photo: MTV News Trina was the victim of theft recently, as the Diamond Princess’ cell phone was stolen and personal pictures she snapped on the device, including nude images, were leaked online. The Miami rapper told MTV News on Monday (March 1) that her phone was taken during the BET Hip-Hop Awards in October and the criminal has attempted to shake her down for hush money. “[The images are] me on a very upset day — I think I was in Canada, upset crying,” she explained. “Just personal stuff. Photos in the studio. I think [one] was me having an allergic reaction, breaking out. I just think it was my personal stuff and for someone to do that is so, so wrong. So now I’m actually having it looked into by the FBI and it’s gonna be a bigger situation that just leaked photos. Hopefully we can deal with the situation and put an end to it.” Trina admitted she took some racy photos of herself, however all the images that appeared on various sites aren’t from her phone. The rapper said whoever stole the images also placed some photos that are not her in an attempt to sensationalize the set. In addition to a few of the nude images, Trina said some of the photos are clean images of her at birthday celebrations, her with friends and an image of her fresh from a facial. The set also contains several of Trina holding up her arm, which appears to have a rash of some sort, and she explained those pictures were taken in order to show her doctor — the rapper broke out but wasn’t sure what was causing the ailment. “I don’t recall being allergic to anything, but obviously, yeah [I am],” she said. “I was in the studio recording for a couple of days and just starting having breakouts. And my doctor said you’re allergic to shellfish or makeup bronzer.” Her doctor, she said, diagnosed her with Urticaria, which essential is hives and has since gone away. Trina’s leaked nude photos follow similar situations that Rihanna and Cassie had to deal with last year. Experts warn to think twice before taking private images on mobile devices, which can easily be lost and subject to strangers digging into your private material. Related Artists Trina

Continue reading here:
Trina Talks Leaked ‘Personal’ Photos

Exclusive: Lil Wayne Talks Pre-Jail Dental Surgery In New Clip

‘If I’m talking a little funny, I’m fresh out of the surgery,’ Weezy says before Tuesday’s sentencing. By Shaheem Reid Lil Wayne Photo: MTV News Nino Brown: Road to Rikers, Part Five Seven more videos in one night — Lil Wayne was handling his business on Saturday. Early Sunday afternoon, while watching the Miami Heat take on the Orlando Magic, Weezy was taking a short break but had already mapped out his night. The man you can find on Twitter as @liltunechi sent in another clip exclusively to MTV News before he is sentenced to prison for attempted gun possession on Tuesday and begins serving his time. In the new video, Weezy is at his Miami home laying out his Sunday night activities. “I’m back, fresh out of the surgery,” says Wayne, whose sentencing was postponed last month due to dental surgery . “If I’m talking a little funny, I’m fresh out of the surgery. If I’m talking a little funny, I’m still days from the medicines. My words may slur, but my grill’s back, bi—! Still got two days left [before I go in]. I lost count. We shot seven videos last night. Tonight, we gonna eat, then go to the studio, then we gonna get some verses in and party with Stunna tonight at Liv [nightclub]. I still haven’t got no [sex]. This is becoming an America alert. This is a tragedy.” In a previous online video , Wayne had addressed how his work schedule was interfering with him having sex: “You can tell I’ve been working hard. Sleeping alone. I’ve been sleeping with my clothes on.” On Sunday night at Miami’s Liv nightclub, Wayne was supposed to attend yet another birthday party for the Birdman (the Cash Money CEO has been celebrating his b-day since around Valentine’s Day with parties across the country). The shindig turned into a surprise farewell party for the Birdman Jr. Wayne was presented with a cake that read “Keep Your Head Up Weezy! We Love U.” Besides the Birdman — who debuted four new star tattoos on his head — Young Money artist Shanell also attended as the newest signee to Cash Money Records. Bow Wow, Mack Maine and Amber Rose were also there. Wayne and DJ Scoob Doo are also filming the reality DVD “The Nino Brown Story Part 3.” The first two installments are available at DJ Scoob Doo’s Web site . Check back with MTV News for more on Wayne’s “Road to Rikers.” Related Videos Lil Wayne’s ‘Road To Rikers’ Related Artists Lil Wayne

See the original post:
Exclusive: Lil Wayne Talks Pre-Jail Dental Surgery In New Clip

John Mayer And Ke$ha Spark A Twittermance

‘Dear Ke$ha, you have won me over with your tricks and charms,’ Mayer tweets. By Jocelyn Vena John Mayer and Ke$ha Photo: Brian Ach/Duffy-Marie Arnoult/WireImage John Mayer once had a Twittermance with Demi Lovato . Now, it seems the singer/songwriter is expressing his love for sassy pop star Ke$ha on the site. He’s also calling out all the haters for their criticism of Ke$ha’s raucous pop. “Stop telling your friends you detest the Ke$ha song and then dancing to it at home,” he tweeted . “How about some accountability, people?” He later added : “How can you watch Jersey Shore for 9 hours and then act like you only listen to Beethoven’s fifth? Okay. Point made. Night.” He also took to the site to personally reach out to the singer and joke with her about the lyrics to her hit song “Tik Tok.” “Dear Ke$ha, you have won me over with your tricks and charms and I must tell you I really like your song,” he wrote . “Though I must add I tried brushing with a bottle of Jack and I chipped a tooth on the glass. Where might I remit an invoice?” Mayer’s tweets were welcomed by Ke$ha, who responded with some lyrics from her latest tune, “Blah Blah Blah”: “Dear john mayerrr. Don’t be a little bi— wit ur chit chat. Jus $how me whur ur di–‘s at. X.” With Ke$ha’s birthday on Monday (March 1), there’s no word whether Mayer got her a present. But she made her b-day wishes clear on Twitter : “PS. IT’S MY MO F—ING BIRTH DAY. I want a baby whale with a lasso and an eyepatch. kk. and peace on earth n sh–. woot.” Related Artists John Mayer Ke$ha

Original post:
John Mayer And Ke$ha Spark A Twittermance

Jay-Z’s NYC Show Will ‘Shut Everything Down,’ Memphis Bleek Says

Hov is returning to Madison Square Garden on Tuesday night. By Shaheem Reid Memphis Bleek Photo: MTV News By this time on Tuesday, Jay-Z and Memphis Bleek should be preparing to go on in their house. Hov’s BP3 tour hits New York’s Madison Square Garden that night — a place where the Jiggaman has astounded thousands of fans with a multitude of guest spots , surprises and even a “farewell” concert . While no one knows what Jay will pull out of his bag of tricks, Memphis Bleek — who always performs with Jay in concert — says to expect an evolution of sound. “This run is gonna shut everything down, because everything is live now. No more playback. The band plays everything. You gotta come check it out,” Jay’s former neighbor in the Marcy Projects revealed. Bleek also said that while Hov parades out an endless array of classics, there are some songs he himself wants to hear that didn’t make the setlist. “Now that’s what I don’t have,” Bleek said about input on what Jay performs. “Jay, he don’t be listening to me. He clips a lot of records, a lot of records Jay don’t do that I be wanting him to do. If Jay did ‘Imaginary Players’ — you know what will happen in that building? ‘Streets Is Watching,’ records like that, they don’t come on. That boy’s hit catalog is crazy.” Over the weekend, Jay, Bleek and opening acts Young Jeezy and Trey Songz hit the Philips Arena in Atlanta. The sold-out crowd saw Jeezy bring out surprise guest Plies; Trey soothed the ladies and Jay threw knockout blows such as “D.O.A.” and “On to the Next One.” Bleek says traveling with Jay from city to city is a lot different for him this time. “For me it’s a new movement,” he said. “They ain’t let me bring my bus out, my Gs out this time — they clipped my bus! They say I gotta ride on the G5 this time everywhere. Usually I’m stuck on the middle of the road, nowhere with my peoples. Now, I’m riding with the A group. “Catch me after tour, I might be acting different,” he added with a laugh. “I’m moving up. I might act different: They say when you blow up, you act different.” After the BP3 tour finishes in Los Angeles late this month, Bleek said he wants to embark on a solo tour to promote his upcoming album, The Process. “We gotta get the music out first,” Memph determined. “Once we get the music out, the shows will come. I turn down a lot of shows because I don’t want to perform old records. I’m tired of singing ‘Is That Your Chick,’ ‘Do My …’ I been doing that. I need to add to the catalog. That’s what The Process is gonna do.” Related Artists Memphis Bleek Jay-Z

Excerpt from:
Jay-Z’s NYC Show Will ‘Shut Everything Down,’ Memphis Bleek Says

Estelle Addresses Use Of Black Makeup In ‘Freak’ Video

‘I could defend myself, but it’s just silly,’ singer says of ‘blackface’ criticism. By Hillary Crosley Estelle in the preview for her music video “Freak” Photo: EstelleMusic.com/ Youtube After her breakthough album Shine, British songstress-rapper Estelle has returned with a new single, “Freak,” from her forthcoming album, All of Me. However, the song’s video — segments of which show her wearing black makeup on her face and body — did not go over well with some of her fans online . “Those comments were the first thing I saw after we released the video trailer,” Estelle told MTV News on Monday (March 1). “It’s like, ‘Are you joking?’ ” The “Freak” clip was directed by frequent Kanye West collaborator Nabil Elderkin and the song itself is a bouncy dance-track produced by David Guetta, featuring Canadian MC Kardinal Offishall. The lyrics address people releasing their individuality and the clip features Estelle in a multitude of looks, including black body paint. However, the director said it’s meant to be in fun. “We are making a video about Estelle acting freaky and we’re gonna do lots of things: turns, fingers, beauty looks, freaky looks, fast dancers, it’s gonna be hot,” Elderkin says in the clip’s promotional trailer. (The director was unavailable for comment at press time.) Estelle said she and the director are longtime friends and he understands that her creative vision is “coming from a place of art versus just trying to be different.” She also declined to address the online chatter directly. “I think they need to wait to see the clip. I could defend myself, but it’s just silly,” Estelle said of the comments. “I’m black, so how do I do blackface? Missy did the same thing [with her video] “She’s a Bitch.” I refuse to defend it, I didn’t put any white ring around my mouth — never that.” Estelle said the “Freak” video will hit the web this week and her album will hits shelves this summer. Related Artists Estelle

Go here to read the rest:
Estelle Addresses Use Of Black Makeup In ‘Freak’ Video

As Lil Wayne’s Jail Sentence Approaches, A Look Back At Snoop’s, T.I.’s, Shyne’s Comments On Prison

These MCs and others have talked about their feelings as they faced prison. By James Montgomery T.I. Photo: Moses Robinson/ Getty Images On Tuesday, Lil Wayne is scheduled to surrender to New York authorities and is expected to begin serving a one-year prison sentence , stemming from a July 2007 attempted gun possession arrest. Wayne is certainly not the first artist to go down this path, especially not in recent years. And, much like those before him, he’s addressed the situation, in the form of a Web video last month (when he was originally expected to begin his term, before the sentencing was delayed due to dental surgery ), in which he thanked his fans for their support and asked them not to forget about him while he serves his sentence, “because I will forever think about you. I cannot wait for you to see me again.” More recently, he’s been sending MTV News videos that document his activities leading up to his court date on Tuesday. As in the past, MTV News has been following Wayne’s legal situation every step of the way. And over the years, we’ve managed to speak to many of his fellow artists as they faced the prospects of jail time, or breathed a sigh of relief after being acquitted of very serious charges. Two of the most famous instances were a 1996 interview with Snoop Dogg , one day after he was found not guilty on a murder charge, and an in-depth conversation with Sean “Diddy” Combs, following his acquittal on bribery and gun-possession charges. In our 1996 conversation with Snoop, he told us what was going though his mind as he stood waiting for his verdict to be read. “I left it in God’s hands. That’s why I looked it, so stone-faced. I was just, I didn’t have no expressions. You know what I’m sayin’? It was all inner. I prayed on it. My family prayed on it,” Snoop said. “[My attorneys] did what they were supposed to do, and they gave the baton to the jury, and I couldn’t do nothin’ but just bank on them and worry about what the outcome was gonna be, as far as to just sit there and hold my position, and to keep my head up high. And just, you know, wait for the outcome.” In 2001, MTV News’ Sway Calloway sat down with Combs , who had just been cleared of all charges after a six-week trial (and 15-month media firestorm) that stemmed from his then prot