Sumanthiran Selvarajoo, 18, was arrested a few hours after he allegedly bashed up retiree Loo Nam Sheng, 64, with an umbrella. A Teenager was charged yesterday with the murder of a man who was found dead in an Ang Mo Kio park last Saturday morning. He faces the death penalty if convicted of the crime. Mr Loo had gone to Ang Mo Kio Town Garden West, opposite Ang Mo Kio library, for his morning exercise last Saturday. At 6.40am, the police received a call about an assault in the area. It is n
Profile for Nicholas Tse * Name: 謝霆鋒 (谢霆锋) / Tse Ting Fung (Xie Ting Feng) * English name: Nicholas (Nic) Tse * Also known as: Lemon * Profession: Actor and singer * Birthdate: 1980-Aug-29 * Birthplace: Hong Kong * Height: 175cm * Weight: 68kg * Star sign: Virgo * Chinese zodiac: Monkey * Blood type: B+ * Family: Father/actor Patrick Tse, mother/actress Deborah Li, younger sister/model Jennifer Tse (謝婷婷), wife/actress Cecilia Cheung, son Lucas Tse (born 2007-Aug-03), and son Quintus (born 2010-
Parents Television Council and Industry Ears criticize depiction of murder in new clip. By Gil Kaufman Rihanna Photo: Jeff Kravitz/ WireImage Rihanna has more than said her piece about how her 2009 assault at the hands of ex-boyfriend Chris Brown has affected her. But in the new video for her single, “Man Down,” the singer is depicted shooting an unarmed man in the head in cold blood at a train station in what viewers later learn is retaliation for a previous sexual assault. “Mama, I just shot a man dead,” Rihanna sings in the video, which debuted on BET on Tuesday. The Parents Television Council, the Enough Is Enough campaign and the entertainment think tank Industry Ears released a statement on Wednesday condemning the video for what the group said was an apparent enticement to young women to turn to violence. ” ‘Man Down’ is an inexcusable, shock-only, shoot-and-kill theme song,” said Industry Ears co-founder Paul Porter, a former programming director at BET. The lyrics to the song match the narrative of the video, including such lines as, “I didn’t mean to end his life/ I know it wasn’t right … I took his heart when/ I pulled out that gun … Oh mama, mama, mama/ I just shot a man down/ In central station/ In front of a big ol’ crowd.” The PTC lamented that Rihanna had a “golden opportunity” to use her celebrity status to send an important message to young girls and victims of rape and domestic violence with the clip, but had missed the mark. “Instead of telling victims they should seek help, Rihanna released a music video that gives retaliation in the form of premeditated murder the imprimatur of acceptability,” said the PTC’s Melissa Henson. Though a spokesperson for Rihanna could not be reached for comment, the singer took to Twitter on Monday to give her fans a preview of the clip’s message. She wrote that it had a “very strong underlying message 4 girls like me.” MTV News spoke with director Anthony Mandler last month, when he revealed that Rihanna let him take the visual to the extreme. “We shot the video last month in Jamaica, and it’s my favorite song she’s ever recorded, so I was really excited to get involved,” he said. “And it’s just one of those songs that demands a strong narrative and visual, and let’s just say, she let me go all the way. So I think you can expect something that’s dramatic and shocking and intense and emotional and uplifting and enlightening.” The organizations have called for BET to stop airing the video immediately. A spokesperson for BET could not be reached at press time. For her part, Rihanna has continued to tout the empowerment message of the clip, tweeting on Wednesday, “Young girls/women all over the world … we are a lot of things! We’re strong innocent fun flirtatious vulnerable, and sometimes our innocence can cause us to be naive! We always think it could NEVER be us, but in reality, it can happen to ANY of us! So ladies be careful and #listentoyomama! I love you and I care!” It’s not the first time Rihanna has been embroiled in a video controversy. Her sexually-suggestive “S&M” clip was banned in a number of countries earlier this year, and some questioned whether she was glorifying domestic violence around the release of the video for her hit Eminem collaboration, “Love the Way You Lie.” What do you think of Rihanna’s video? Is it harmful or empowering? Share your thoughts in the comments below! Related Artists Rihanna
Parents Television Council and Industry Ears criticize depiction of murder in new clip. By Gil Kaufman Rihanna Photo: Jeff Kravitz/ WireImage Rihanna has more than said her piece about how her 2009 assault at the hands of ex-boyfriend Chris Brown has affected her. But in the new video for her single, “Man Down,” the singer is depicted shooting an unarmed man in the head in cold blood at a train station in what viewers later learn is retaliation for a previous sexual assault. “Mama, I just shot a man dead,” Rihanna sings in the video, which debuted on BET on Tuesday. The Parents Television Council, the Enough Is Enough campaign and the entertainment think tank Industry Ears released a statement on Wednesday condemning the video for what the group said was an apparent enticement to young women to turn to violence. ” ‘Man Down’ is an inexcusable, shock-only, shoot-and-kill theme song,” said Industry Ears co-founder Paul Porter, a former programming director at BET. The lyrics to the song match the narrative of the video, including such lines as, “I didn’t mean to end his life/ I know it wasn’t right … I took his heart when/ I pulled out that gun … Oh mama, mama, mama/ I just shot a man down/ In central station/ In front of a big ol’ crowd.” The PTC lamented that Rihanna had a “golden opportunity” to use her celebrity status to send an important message to young girls and victims of rape and domestic violence with the clip, but had missed the mark. “Instead of telling victims they should seek help, Rihanna released a music video that gives retaliation in the form of premeditated murder the imprimatur of acceptability,” said the PTC’s Melissa Henson. Though a spokesperson for Rihanna could not be reached for comment, the singer took to Twitter on Monday to give her fans a preview of the clip’s message. She wrote that it had a “very strong underlying message 4 girls like me.” MTV News spoke with director Anthony Mandler last month, when he revealed that Rihanna let him take the visual to the extreme. “We shot the video last month in Jamaica, and it’s my favorite song she’s ever recorded, so I was really excited to get involved,” he said. “And it’s just one of those songs that demands a strong narrative and visual, and let’s just say, she let me go all the way. So I think you can expect something that’s dramatic and shocking and intense and emotional and uplifting and enlightening.” The organizations have called for BET to stop airing the video immediately. A spokesperson for BET could not be reached at press time. For her part, Rihanna has continued to tout the empowerment message of the clip, tweeting on Wednesday, “Young girls/women all over the world … we are a lot of things! We’re strong innocent fun flirtatious vulnerable, and sometimes our innocence can cause us to be naive! We always think it could NEVER be us, but in reality, it can happen to ANY of us! So ladies be careful and #listentoyomama! I love you and I care!” It’s not the first time Rihanna has been embroiled in a video controversy. Her sexually-suggestive “S&M” clip was banned in a number of countries earlier this year, and some questioned whether she was glorifying domestic violence around the release of the video for her hit Eminem collaboration, “Love the Way You Lie.” What do you think of Rihanna’s video? Is it harmful or empowering? Share your thoughts in the comments below! Related Artists Rihanna
New clip is a humorous take on intense 1993 Michael Douglas film. By James Montgomery Dave Grohl in Foo Fighters’ video for “Walk” Photo: RCA The Foo Fighters’ new “Walk” video is, rather oddly enough, a near re-creation of the 1993 film “Falling Down,” the oft-disturbing portrait of the prototypical “angry white male” (as portrayed by Michael Douglas, complete with crew cut and short-sleeved work shirt) who is pushed to the brink by what he views as society’s decay — immigrants, crime, greed, bureaucracy, the fact that McDonald’s stops serving breakfast at 10:30 a.m. — and goes on a violent rampage as a result, culminating in a stand-off with police and his death. Only, you know, funny. Yes, “Walk” — which premiered Thursday (June 2) on MTV.com — is a bit strange: a humorous take on a film that a) most people probably don’t remember, and b) wasn’t all that humorous in the first place. It opens with frontman Dave Grohl (who, besides his long hair, is a dead-ringer for Douglas’ Bill Foster with his horn-rimmed glasses and striped tie) stuck in a traffic jam of suck: a snotty kid stares at him from the back of a station wagon; bumper stickers proudly proclaim “Bieber is my Co-Pilot,” “Thank You, President Bush” and, rather hilariously, “Coldplay”; well-heeled jerks kick back in their cozy convertibles. And, much like Foster, he snaps, leaving his car on the freeway and beginning a trek across Los Angeles, carrying his guitar case with him. We then follow him as he is pushed closer and closer to the edge, thanks to an ever-extending chain of society’s annoyances: his iPhone dies, a clerk at a convenience store refuses to give him change to make a call and he can’t find a payphone. Of course, unlike “Falling Down,” Grohl’s reactions and his interactions are played up for comedic value. He doesn’t smash up a Korean-owned grocery store, shoot up a fast-foot restaurant or stab a white supremacist. Instead, there is a rather humorous karate fight with some gangbangers (fellow Foos Taylor Hawkins and Chris Shiflett), and he drives a golf cart into a lake. And, unlike Bill Foster, Grohl’s voyage of carnage doesn’t end with a climatic showdown with police at Venice Fishing Pier, but rather at a Foo Fighters’ practice, where he and the band tear through the remainder of the song before the police come crashing in. Grohl gets tazed. The band poses for pictures with the officers. It is funny — and, unlike their “Rope” video , “Walk” looks like it cost a bit of cash — it’s just, well, odd. Those not aware of “Falling Down” will probably view this as another in a long line of funny Foos clips. But for those who’ve seen the film (which can be polarizing, to say the very least), it’s sort of impossible not to view “Walk” through the prism of the original. And that’s why it’s a weird thing to watch. Funny? Sure. A slightly odd choice? Most definitely. Then again, the Foo Fighters have long defied conventions, and with “Walk,” they continue down that path — with some silly costumes, of course. The Foos will perform “Walk” on the 2011 MTV Movie Awards , airing live Sunday at 9 p.m. ET/PT. Share your review of the “Walk” video in the comments below! Related Artists Foo Fighters
New clip is a humorous take on intense 1993 Michael Douglas film. By James Montgomery Dave Grohl in Foo Fighters’ video for “Walk” Photo: RCA The Foo Fighters’ new “Walk” video is, rather oddly enough, a near re-creation of the 1993 film “Falling Down,” the oft-disturbing portrait of the prototypical “angry white male” (as portrayed by Michael Douglas, complete with crew cut and short-sleeved work shirt) who is pushed to the brink by what he views as society’s decay — immigrants, crime, greed, bureaucracy, the fact that McDonald’s stops serving breakfast at 10:30 a.m. — and goes on a violent rampage as a result, culminating in a stand-off with police and his death. Only, you know, funny. Yes, “Walk” — which premiered Thursday (June 2) on MTV.com — is a bit strange: a humorous take on a film that a) most people probably don’t remember, and b) wasn’t all that humorous in the first place. It opens with frontman Dave Grohl (who, besides his long hair, is a dead-ringer for Douglas’ Bill Foster with his horn-rimmed glasses and striped tie) stuck in a traffic jam of suck: a snotty kid stares at him from the back of a station wagon; bumper stickers proudly proclaim “Bieber is my Co-Pilot,” “Thank You, President Bush” and, rather hilariously, “Coldplay”; well-heeled jerks kick back in their cozy convertibles. And, much like Foster, he snaps, leaving his car on the freeway and beginning a trek across Los Angeles, carrying his guitar case with him. We then follow him as he is pushed closer and closer to the edge, thanks to an ever-extending chain of society’s annoyances: his iPhone dies, a clerk at a convenience store refuses to give him change to make a call and he can’t find a payphone. Of course, unlike “Falling Down,” Grohl’s reactions and his interactions are played up for comedic value. He doesn’t smash up a Korean-owned grocery store, shoot up a fast-foot restaurant or stab a white supremacist. Instead, there is a rather humorous karate fight with some gangbangers (fellow Foos Taylor Hawkins and Chris Shiflett), and he drives a golf cart into a lake. And, unlike Bill Foster, Grohl’s voyage of carnage doesn’t end with a climatic showdown with police at Venice Fishing Pier, but rather at a Foo Fighters’ practice, where he and the band tear through the remainder of the song before the police come crashing in. Grohl gets tazed. The band poses for pictures with the officers. It is funny — and, unlike their “Rope” video , “Walk” looks like it cost a bit of cash — it’s just, well, odd. Those not aware of “Falling Down” will probably view this as another in a long line of funny Foos clips. But for those who’ve seen the film (which can be polarizing, to say the very least), it’s sort of impossible not to view “Walk” through the prism of the original. And that’s why it’s a weird thing to watch. Funny? Sure. A slightly odd choice? Most definitely. Then again, the Foo Fighters have long defied conventions, and with “Walk,” they continue down that path — with some silly costumes, of course. The Foos will perform “Walk” on the 2011 MTV Movie Awards , airing live Sunday at 9 p.m. ET/PT. Share your review of the “Walk” video in the comments below! Related Artists Foo Fighters
Damn, so that’s what’s going on now? Beating senior citizens to death?? SMH A 61-year-old Bronx man was stomped to death in front of his home early yesterday when he got mixed up in a fight between a crazed man and a woman, police said. Quentin Guerrero, 61, was attacked at 1:30 a.m. in front of 480 E. 138th St. in Mott Haven by ex-con Kendall Major, 35, and his girlfriend, Tosheba Alford, 20, authorities said. “It was brutal. It was terrible,” said a 47-year-old livery cabdriver who tried to break up the fight. “There were a lot of people watching from their windows and no one was doing anything.” Oscar Porata, 58, who lives on the block, said: “I heard a loud thump, like someone hitting the floor, and that’s when I looked out and saw someone unconscious on the ground.” The couple was in a cab when they started arguing and hopped out near where Guerrero was standing, sources said. When Guerrero, a former Verizon technician, tried to speak with Alford, things turned sour, the sources added. Alford attacked Guerrero and Major kicked him repeatedly, said the cabby. Guerrero was rushed to Lincoln Hospital, where he died. Major and Alford, who live together in Far Rockaway, Queens, were charged with murder. We’re glad that the police charged both of these two with the murder. We’ve heard a lot of ignorant behavior in our day, but this sh*t right here… Source
What kind of neighbor are you? If you heard a couple next door to you fighting and you weren’t sure whether or not it was physical would you call the police? If you knew for sure it was physical, would you call the police? Some people think it’s not their place to jump in grown folks’ business no matter what. We asked some New Yorkers their thoughts. Check out the video at MadameNoire.com
Dutch production duo Mason have just completed the video to ‘Boadicea,’ their collaborative track with Irish singer-songwriter Roisin Murphy. The gritty clip, which was all shot on an East London council estate, tells the tale of a down-trodden young girl who fantasizes about exacting revenge on the men in her life. Like a modern day Broadcasting platform : YouTube Source : Pop In Stereo Discovery Date : 20/04/2011 01:59 Number of articles : 2
WOFL (Orlando, FL) reporter Patrick Pegues was sent to cover a deadly shooting at a 24-hour internet cafe yesterday. But instead, he became the news. Things started out well enough. Early in the morning, Pegues delivered this report: But everything went south from there. According to video posted on YouTube, and confirmed by the news station, Pegues tussled with security guards and police just as… Broadcasting platform : YouTube Source : The Blaze Discovery Date : 20/04/2011 13:45 Number of articles : 2